Is it important to date your spouse? Absolutely! Dating your spouse is as important as food is for your body and fuel is for the car. Food helps your body grow and stay nourished. Fuel keeps your car running. Dating your spouse keeps the romance alive, the friendship growing and the connection strong. A date night says to your spouse, “You matter, our relationship matters and it is important to make the time to ensure that our relationship continues to grow so we stay connected and in love.”
After two people meet and feel that they want to pursue an initial attraction, they usually date. Dating is time spent together to see if this person is someone you want to continue spending time with and getting to know better. It is the natural progression that many relationships follow.
Does the dating need to stop once you fall in love and get married? No, nor should it, especially after you have children.
Reasons to Date Your Spouse
- It is a reminder of why you like your spouse.
- It is a time for you to spend time with your favorite person in the world.
- It will give you a chance to talk about something other than the kids, bills, chores, schedules, etc.
- It is a great time to check in with your spouse. Individuals are always continuing to evolve and grow with their interests, their passions, their wants and needs. Take this time to share this with your spouse so you can continue to grow together.
- A day/night out is an opportunity to focus on each other without distractions. Make a pact to only answer the phone if it is the babysitter calling.
- Common activities also can lead to shared feelings and interests. This will increase your connection.
- Spend your date communicating with each other. Good communication and knowing your partners hopes and dreams will keep your marriage on the right track.
- Being on a date can reignite the passion by feeling connected and increase the excitement at the thought of being together.
- It can be a night to dress up, feel sexy, feel special, showing the side of you that your spouse initially fell in love with when you started dating.
- Going on a date is an opportunity for romance to be front and center which is an essential element to your marriage.
- This is a dedicated time to being flirty, creative and passionate with your spouse while giving him/her your full attention.
- A date is an opportunity to try something new. This keeps a sense of freshness and adventure in the relationship which prevents feeling bored and being stuck in a routine.
- Your date should be a day or an evening of relaxing and enjoying. It is good for each of you individually and as a couple.
Romance sometimes takes a backseat to chores, kid’s activities, bills, work and other things. Yes, that is part of daily life and it all has a place in your life. But so should date night. By dating each other on a regular basis, your marriage will thrive and strengthen. So make date night a priority this week and spend some time rekindling that spark.
Some important things to remember: Great dates can be the ingredient needed for your relationship. Sucessful marriages are rejuvenated by dating each other. The continuous effort you put into your marriage will pay off in years of happy times and wonderful memories.
Your Relationship Expert,