Welcome to the middle of October! The children are back in school and usually by now set with their new classes, schedules and friends. The holidays are approaching, but not here yet. If you live in a place with seasons, the leaves are changing color and the air is feeling a little brisk. If you live in Florida, like I do, then the leaves are still green and the occasional breeze puts a big smile on your face. Autumn is a perfect time to focus on your marriage. It is a great time to take a moment for a marriage “check in”.
Let’s face it. Life is busy! You are probably juggling your busy schedule, while your spouse is juggling a busy schedule, your children have a busy schedule and then there is the hectic never ending housework, errands, paying bills and so much more! How do you make time for your spouse? Are you and your spouse connecting in a satisfying and fulfilling way? Possibly you are nodding your head yes, but you might be saying no or I’m not sure. This blog will hopefully get your mind thinking in the direction of I can do that tip, that tip is something I never thought of or that tip gives me an idea and I am about to be creative. Go for it!
Tips on Connecting with Your Spouse While Balancing a Busy Schedule
- Kiss every time you say hello and good-bye.
- Enjoy a lingering hug at least once a day.
- Send a short “I love you”, text and/or email.
- Leave a post it note that says “I love you”.
- Ask about his/her day and really listen.
- Leave a flower on his/her seat in the car.
- Tell a joke or ask a riddle and enjoy a moment of laughter.
- Do a household chore together.
- Go to the gym and help each other work out.
- Take a 20 minute walk together.
- Go outside and stare at the stars.
- Hold hands while sitting on the couch, in the car, walking into a store, or any other time you can.
- When cutting vegetables, form them into a smiley face or form the words “I love you”.
- Get up 15 minutes earlier and enjoy a quiet moment together and a cup of coffee.
- Once a week, sit for at least 15 minutes with your calendars and share schedules as well as discuss the logistics of the upcoming week.
This list should serve as a gentle reminder to reconnect with your spouse. It is critical to your marriage. Your marriage needs to be a priority. Your spouse needs to feel connected, loved, cherished and important. Make time for each other!
I am a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist who specializes in helping couples communicate and reconnect. If you need additional information or help, please contact me. This list is a reminder to take time and focus on your marriage. It will not necessarily solve a situation that might require marriage counseling. I am conveniently located in Plantation, near Sunrise, Tamarac, Davie and Weston. I have flexible hours including evenings and Saturday appointments available. Call today for a complimentary 15-20 minute phone consultation or to set up a complimentary 15-20 minute office consultation.
Your Relationship Expert,